Sunday, November 28, 2010

A list of 2010 Notable books by the NY Times

I arrived on the internets this morning and my RSS feed reader suggested this article to me: the "100 Notable Books of 2010" at the New York Times site (I wish these things showed a preview of the links like Facebook does).

Quite a few of these look awesome and just reading the list in itself stirs a literary excitement for venturing into many of these intellectually stimulating, cultural and historically commentating novels.

I kind of miss the old age of high ideas, though. The novels of a time and place far, far away with extreme governments, assassins from secret societies, alternate histories, post-apocalypses and the rise of the outcasts, all faithfully and rigorously partnered with a sense of realism. Granted, most of my favorite authors (Palahniuk, Bolano) fit the catagory of the ones in the list, but they do it with a poetic, cynical and darkly humorous voice completely devoid of prudence, which I don't always see too much of while perusing the bookshelves. It could also be that plenty of these things are out there and my view lacks a proper grasp. If so, then please point me in the right direction.

I've also recently come across a few novels about families and people who've thrown away the desire to (Liberally) better the world or make a difference and are now struggling with their left over "disillusions". Voice of the times, maybe? Hmph, there's something to be said about that.........

It quite sucks that I have a severe lack of funds, but soon enough, the old expression of Desiderius Erasmus will apply:
Some of these that interest me:
"Something Red" by Jennifer Gilmore
"The Surrendered" by Chang-rae Lee
"Charlie Chan: The Untold Story of the Honorable Detective and His Rendezvous With American History" by Yunte Huang

But the novels "Ilustrado" by Miguel Syjuco and "The Nearest Exit" by Olen Steinhauer are looking likely to appear on this blog sooner than most of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bollocks, what's your bloody take on things then?