Wednesday, January 25, 2012

January 25th Update

Ok, so the last thing I left on here was a quote from David Mitchell’s “Cloud Atlas”, which I still haven’t finished even though I started it January 2011. Early December 2011, I was in an accident and was hospitalized for the whole month. I’m out now.
In retrospect, I should have finished about 5 novels1 in that time, but instead, I could not take myself away from “Law and Order” reruns or marathons of “Burn Notice” and “Leverage”. So, “Cloud Atlas” was dragged out. However, I am not without progress. I did finish “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” (which has since been release in big-screen form, directed by David Fincher, starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, snubbed by Academy Awards), and I've finished "The Nearest Exit" by Olen Steinhauer. I also started, but did not finish, “The New York Trilogy” by Paul Auster.

I started a job in May that is just….abysmal, and free time in lieu of that has been spent drinking and smoking cigarettes to help cope with this. Working there, full of people who treat their customers like crap, make stereotypical, ignorant judgments of people and are quick to put you down or try to show how worthless you are to your boss when all you want to do is serve the customers, knocked the literary drive out of me. It’s nothing short of unbelievable that places this unethical are still allowed to function and have a place in society. It giving people jobs does not outweigh the immoral practices of this business. That’s not to say that I prefer the jobs and business being taken away, but that it would definitely be better run by other, rational, progressive people who understand that customers are the foundation of a business and things should be in order to keep them coming back. If I say anymore, this post will become quite political. There’s more about this shitty place in my earlier blog post. But I digress.

Anyway, I will fight to keep a literary fire roasting within me. It’s one of the only reasons to live. I will write what I remember thinking about those 2 books, if only to record them on this blog. Will come back later. 

Notes: 1) Pending that none of them were any long, mega pensive works like “Crime and Punishment” or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bollocks, what's your bloody take on things then?